Alcohol related violence in Sydney
Background: On the 24th of February 2014 the NSW Government imposed new restrictions (contained in the Liquor Amendment Act, 2014). These restrictions included:
- 1.30am lockouts at hotels, registered clubs, nightclubs and karaoke bars in two designated areas, known respectively as the Sydney CBD Entertainment Precinct and Kings Cross Precinct;
- 3.00am cessation of alcohol service in venues in these Precincts;
- A freeze on new liquor licences and approvals for existing licences across the Sydney CBD Entertainment Precinct and continuation of the existing freeze in the Kings Cross Precinct
1. Current trends
The graph below shows the monthly number of non-domestic assaults recorded by the NSW Police Force in the Sydney CBD and Kings Cross Precincts, as well as the suburbs of Newtown and Pyrmont, since January 2009.
2. Monthly number of assaults
The chart below shows the average number of non-domestic assaults recorded by the NSW Police Force in the Sydney CBD and Kings Cross Precincts, as well as the suburbs of Newtown and Pyrmont, in the 12 month period before the lockouts were introduced (March 2013 to February 2014) compared to the 22 month period after the lockouts were introduced (March 2014 to December 2015).
3. BOCSAR research findings
A forthcoming BOCSAR report examines the monthly count of non-domestic assaults recorded by the NSW Police since January 2009 to June 2015: a total of 78 months (62 months prior to lockout intervention and 16 months post the lockout intervention). The table below shows the overall reduction in the monthly number of assaults in the two target areas, the Sydney CBD and Kings Cross precincts, together with the proximal and distal displacement areas and the rest of NSW.
|Kings Cross Precinct||-45.1%|
|Sydney CBD Entertainment Precinct||-20.3%|
|Proximal displacement area*||Stable|
|Distal displacement area**||Stable|
|Rest of NSW||-1.4%|
* Includes parts of the following suburbs: Pyrmont (including the Star City Casino) , Ultimo, Chippendale, Haymarket, Surry Hills, Elizabeth Bay, Rushcutters Bay and Darlinghurst.
** Includes Bondi Beach, Coogee, Double Bay and Newtown.
The map below shows the location of both the Sydney CBD Entertainment Precinct and Kings Cross Precinct, as well as the suburbs of Newtown and Pyrmont.